Summer camps are the best part of one’s childhood; it is the time when a child gets to interact with their peers and indulge in various activities with them.
Gaga ball is one such camp activity that gained popularity in the 70s. It is a fast-paced game that adults and children can play. It is a fun game for children to get some exercise and enjoy competing with their peers.
The game is relatively fast-paced, so it might be challenging for beginners to pick up the rules of this game.
Gaga ball can be best described as the understated version of dodgeball as it is much safer and will not hurt the child.
If you’re wondering how to play Gaga ball, here is everything you need to know about the gaga ball.
1. What skill does it involve?
When playing gaga ball, you play the sport with a soft foam ball. To succeed in the game, one will have to combine their dodging, strike, jumping, and running skills. Moreover, one also needs to be attentive and pay attention to other players to defend themselves from the ball.
So, the game requires you to be physically active and requires a great degree of attentiveness.
2. How to play gaga ball
A bunch of players stand in a formation which is known as the pit. The basic rule is that you are out of the pit if the ball touches you below the knees.
The pit’s diameter is ideally twenty-five feet if more than twelve players are playing. But, if there are six to twelve players, then the diameter can be between fifteen and twenty feet.
Unlike other games where the pit is circular, the gaga ball is played within an octagon-shaped pit.
After the referee throws the ball into the pit, the kids can pick it up and throw it at each other to eliminate their peers.
The last person standing in the pit wins the game, and a single round cannot last more than five minutes as per the rules.
3.Rules of gaga ball
● Initially, when the referee bounces the ball in the middle of the pit, the kids have to start the game by keeping one hand on the frame or outline of the pit.
● As soon as the ball enters the pit, the players have to shout ‘GA’ for the first two bounces of the softball, and when the ball makes the third bounce, the player must call ‘Go.’
● Only after the shouting ‘GA’ for the first two bounces and ‘Go’ for the third does the ball become active.
● The players cannot touch the ball before the ball becomes active.
● After the ball becomes active, the players can hit the ball at another player.
● A player has been eliminated only when the ball hits them under the knees.
● Even if a player hits the ball to himself under the knee, they can be eliminated.
● A player is not eliminated if the ball touches them above the knees.
● The players have the authority to use the pit walls to bounce the ball to hit other players.
● If the game is getting lengthy, the referee can decide to toss another ball into the pit.
So, now you understand how to play Gaga Ball, and knowing the basic rules will help you excel at the game. The next time you play Gaga Ball, ensure that you and all your peers adhere to the rules of this fun game.